Toor dal with Methi (fenugreek) leaves
Methi (Fenugreek) leaves
Toor dal / Arhar dal (Pigeon Pea) - 1 cup.
Methi leaves (fenugreek) – 1 small bunch
Salt – to taste
Turmeric (Haldi) - pinch
Green Chillies – 2 nos.
Mustard seeds & cumin seeds (Rayi & jeera) – ½ tsp
Curry leaves – a few
Oil for seasoning (tadka) – 1 tbs
- Wash and separate methi leaves.
- Add methi leaves, Haldi, chopped green chillies to dal in a pressure cooker. Add 3 cups of water and cook for 2 or 3 whistles or until dal is cooked soft.
- When cooled, mash the dal to a coarse paste. Put salt into the dal mixture and cook it on stove without lid. When it is done, remove from stove.
- Heat oil in a sauce pan (kadai), add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and curry leaves. When they start spluttering pout the oil over the dal.
- This dal can be eaten with rice or roti.