Tomato chutney cum Pickle:
I learnt this recipe from my dear friend Meena. This is a chutney but tastes like a pickle. It is a south Indian recipe and quite hot & spicy. Tastes best mixed in rice and donot forget to add ghee!
Tomatoes – ½ kg.
Oli – 1 small cup
Tamarind – 1 small cup
Chilli powder - 1 small cup
Salt – 4/5 ths. of a cup
Methi (fenugreek) powder – ½ tsp.
For garnishing – 2 tsps (together) of rayi (mustard), methi (fenugreek) seeds
Dry red chillies – 4 nos.
· Chop tomatoes roughly.
· Heat 2 tsp. of oil in a frying pan, and add chopped tomatoes.
· After the tomatoes are cooked for 3 to 4 min, add dry tamarind flakes.
· Cover the pan and pour water on the lid.
· Cook until tomatoes and tamarind are done.
· Take the pan off the stove and let it cool.
· Mix chilli powder, methi powder, and salt.
· Heat the remaining oil in a small pan; add rayi and methi seeds. When they start spluttering, add red chillies. Take the pan off the stove.
· Pour the garnishing over the tomato mixture.
· Tomato chutney is ready to eat after a day.