Saturday, June 27, 2015

Role of women

Was the role of women in olden days really demeaning, pathetic and dismal? When I look at the life of present woman I many a times wonder; what are we fighting against?

(The following piece has been posted by me, under my husband's name in Linkedin , error on my part. Please forgive.) 

Here is my take on the questions raised by Ms. Vani Sarma on Linkedin:
What is 'Olden days'? and when is 'Olden days'? Women from 'which' region are we discussing here?
Since I donot like generalizations, let me be specific. My maternal grand mother had a very astute analytical and legal mind. There was no support and no options for her. She felt her life was wasted. I feel her 'Talent' went waste.

My grand mother from my father's side, wrote several books of prayers (got them published too), later in life. No one bothered to promote them. Here too, her talent went waste.
Coming to the next generation, ie. my mother and aunts, they HAD to stay home and mind the kids. No other options available. There were no creches those days. They were in a joint family; still could not take care of other's kids. My mother taught for some time, but had give it up. She missed having a career, having her money, her identity (Pehchan) based on her capabilities and talents outside the house. She sorely missed it. She felt, a woman can do so much more than cooking, cleaning, changing the diapers, and taking care of children's education. Yes, she did them all and felt she could do more. But she didnot have a choice.

It is not whether one way of life is better than the other. It is about have the right to make one's own choices; not dictated by people or culture. Why cannot a woman have children and pursue a career? why cannot the partner take care of the children or atleast share it? Why is it her sole responsibility?

A career does not mean a job in a office only. It also means learning something new and working with it, eg: going for higher studies and keep studying; it can mean exercising one's capabilities, physical, mental, emotional or spiritual; it can also mean indulging in the things one loves, eg: music, fine arts, working at any of the millions of interests etc.

I hold that greatest wastage is the WASTAGE OF HUMAN POTENTIAL. 50% of the human race is women, and if they do not live up to their potential (whatever be the reasons), God will not be happy. It is not a question of right or wrong, it is a question 'whether God approves or not'.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bertradaburg, Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany

We made a trip to Eifel, in the middle of April, 2021, in western region of Germany. It was a day trip and a pleasant drive to the Bertradab...