Raw Mango pickle with plenty of garlic
Raw Mango pieces
- Mango pieces – 7 cups
- Chilli powder – (less than) , 1 cup
- Mustard powder – (less than) , 1 cup
- Salt – flat 1 cup
- Garlic paste – flat 1 cup
- Garlic, whole pods –
- Methi (Fenugreek) powder – 1 tbs
- Methi (Fenugreek) seeds– 1 tbs
- Jeera (Cumin) powder – 1 tbs
- Jeera (Cumin) – 1 tbs
- Gingelli oil – 2 cups
Clean and cut mangoes into 1 cubes retaining the shell. Discard the seed.
Roast Jeera and methi and powder them.
Mix salt, Chilli powder, Mustard powder, Methi and Jeera powders together. Mix garlic paste to the powdered mixture.
Thoroughly mix the masala paste to the mango pieces, in batches, making sure all the pieces are coated with masala.
Heat oil and add jeera and methi. Cool it and pour over the mango pickle. Leave it aside for 3 days. Mix it and store in a ceramic or glass jar and keep the jar in cool and dry place. It is ready to eat and will last a whole year.
Points to remember:
- Mangoes have to be fully grown and firm. Discard soft or ripe mangoes.
- After cleaning the mangoes, wipe them dry and make sure all the dishes are also dry. Dampness causes fungus.
- You can vary the proportion of any other ingredients slightly, but not salt.
- Pickle should be covered with oil. Less oil and pickle will develop fungus.