The Holy Cross Church at Cavelossim, South Goa
The Holy Cross Church in Cavelossim, in South Goa is situated in a quaint sea side town. During our trip to Carmona, Cavelossim and Agonda, we visited this church. At the intersection of roads, the Church stands on a huge rectangular site in front, which is paved and used for feasts and events. A very pretty Pavilion is situated to the right of the front court yard.
Built in 1763 AD, the church has 5 bays and it is 3 stories high. The front facade of the church is beautifully maintained. But the sides and rear are left unattended. There is dry black moss on all the side and back external wall surfaces; infact grass is growing on the horizontal surfaces.
There are twin bell towers on either side of the main entrance. The one on the right side of the entrance, holds the larger bell. Sitting atop the bell tower are urn shaped finials.
Bell tower, seen from the side and from rear
It is a beautiful church; when in Goa, please do visit it. The staff is also very helpful.