Tomato chutney for Idlis:
This is a very simple chutney; gets done fast and tastes yummy with idlis; Can also be eaten with rice or rotis. Long time back, I had it at a friend’s place in Chennai. Made the recipe from the taste I remembered all these years. It is one of those recipes you cannot go wrong with.
Tomatoes – ¼ kg.
Oil – 2 tbs.
Rayi (Mustard seeds), Jeera (Cumin seeds), Methi (Fenugreek seeds) – together 1 tsp.
Green chilli / red chilli – 1 no. (2 or more if you want spicy)
Onion, chopped – 1 no.
Garlic pods – 4 nos.
Chopped Coriander leaves – small bunch
Salt to taste
· Chop tomatoes roughly.
· Heat oil in a pan, add ½ tsp. of rayi, Jeera, and methi seeds. Put 2 nos. garlic pods and fry.
· Add the chopped green chilli / red chilli and chopped onion when the above start spluttering.
· After the onion is fried to a light brown colour, add chopped tomatoes.
· Cover and cook on a low flame until tomatoes are almost cooked.
· Take the pan off the stove. Let it cool.
· Grind the cooked tomato mixture in a mixie or hand blender adding salt. Take it into a separate bowl.
· Mix chopped coriander to the chutney.
· Heat oil in a frying pan, add the remaining rayi, jeera and garlic pods. When they are brown, pour over the chutney, and mix well.
· Serve with Idli or rice.